Dear Parent / Carer
In aid of British Science Week, Durrington High School is having its very own STEM week (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths), during the week of 20th – 24th March 2023. During the week various workshops, guest speakers, competitions and new and creative STEM lessons will be delivered across the school. This is all in aid of raising the profile of STEM, inspiring Key Stage 3 students to continue studying STEM subjects, discover career opportunities and identify the steps needed to reach their aspirations.
During the week:
- Prof. Prichard from The University of Birmingham will be speaking to students about evolution
- A Bucky Ball workshop delivered by Dr Jonathan Hare
- All KS3 science lessons will be hands on with a focus on the theme of ‘connections’
- Subject-specific STEM lessons including robotics in Computing
- Soccer STEM Program at the AMEX.
- Specialised geography lessons.
On Friday 24th March our KS3 students will be showcasing their projects in a STEM Festival. This will be running from 3.30-4.45pm in the Learning Resource Area. It will be open to all parents as a drop-in and will give you an opportunity to speak to our students, and discuss what they have been working on during that week.
You will not need to inform us that you are attending, but we look forward to seeing you.
Dr Keys and Mr Finch
STEM Week 2023 Co-ordinators
P.S. If you have any empty 2l bottles or empty toilet rolls, please send them into school.