- Do you worry that your Yr11 child will struggle to settle into a steady pattern of revision?
- Did they do little or no revision before the mock exams?
- Do they seem to struggle with motivation? Were they constantly avoiding starting or saying phrases like “I don’t know where to start/I’ll start tomorrow”?
- Were their mock grades a concern to you and/or their effort/homework scores variable or poor?
If the answer is yes to any of the above questions we can and will help. On Monday 7th March 2022 we will be running a short, informal, “Getting revision going” session aimed at helping to support you (parents/carers) in playing your part and being the best supporter to your child as they enter their final few months before GCSEs this summer.
From the year 11 cohort’s honest feedback we know that a number of students didn’t do as much revision as they should have done (with some saying they did no revision at all!) before their recent mocks. Hence, we know that there are likely to be a number of parents/carers out there who may be facing a bit of a revision battle with their teen. You are not alone and we’re here to help. The support session we are planning is designed to share with you simple strategies/hints and tips that work and that you can take-away to get your teenager better engaged with revision here and now; ultimately supporting them in reaching their potential this summer.
Mr Crane, Mrs Wallis-Taylor and myself will share with you some key strategies/quick wins you may not be aware of that will be effective in
- breaking cycles of low motivation,
- your teen saying they don’t know how to revise or where to start
- helping you as parents/carers if you feel out of your depth with subject knowledge
We’ll also make sure that everything we do cover is simple, quick to implement and proven to have a positive effect as well as providing you with an opportunity to ask any questions you (or your child as they are welcome to attend too) may have. Remember this event is NOT for parents/carers whose children are already engaged with and working to their revision plan.
- When: Monday 7th March 2022
- Where: Durrington High School
- What time: 6pm start (we plan for no longer than 45 minutes) We’ll arrange tea/coffee from 5.45pm. Your child in year 11 is welcome to come too (your choice)
As a further update, immediately after the half term break we will be formally launching our targeted learning support program which we are calling “tutorials”. Small group tuition will be put in place with their teachers for students who are currently underachieving and/or where their own subject teachers have identified common learning gaps. Tutorials form part of a wider package of support which all year 11 students can access; the key message however is that independent study and an appropriate amount of time spent on revision at home remain a key part to their success in the summer.
As a final reminder please remember to have a quick look at the latest parent/carer bulletin, there are lots of hints and tips here for all parents/carers and its <2 mins to read the whole thing. https://durringtonhighschool.co.uk/2022/02/11/year-11-parent-carer-gcse-briefing-14-02/
Mr Crane, Mrs Wallis-Taylor and Mr Woodcock